UUs in Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota and beyond have been fighting to stop the Line 3 tar sands pipeline, which violates Indigenous treaty rights and threatens waterways and the climate. As Unitarian Universalists and people of conscience, our faith calls us to support the movement for Indigenous sovereignty and ensure a livable climate for all. Several frontline camps are active on the ground resisting construction. Minnesota UU Social Justice Alliance (MUUSJA) is coordinating UU engagement on the ground in partnership with Minnesota Interfaith Power & Light (MN-IPL) and frontline groups.
Whether you live near or far, UUs have a role in building solidarity with Indigenous frontline communities to make sure this tar sands pipeline is not built!
What is Line 3?
Line 3 is a tar sands pipeline that would carry 500,000 barrels of oil per day from the Alberta tar sands to the western shore of Lake Superior. Crossing traditional territory of the Anishnaabeg peoples without consent, this project is a clear violation of treaty rights. The carbon emissions from burning the oil transported by Line 3 are equivalent to 50 new coal plants, making this movement pivotal to sustaining a livable climate.
LEARN MORE on StopLine3.org
READ MORE about the faith movement:
WATCH the Prepare to Care Webinar, featuring Indigenous and frontline leaders, co-hosted by UU Ministry for Earth, Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, UUA, and Minnesota UU Social Justice Alliance.
Indigenous-led Groups to Follow and Support
Follow these groups on their website, Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram for updates and calls to action:
- Camp Migizi, Giniw Collective, Gitchigumi Scouts, Honor the Earth, Indigenous Environmental Network, Red Lake Treaty Camp, RISE Coalition
- Follow Resist Line 3 on Instagram and Twitter for centralized coverage on the movement
Mobilize with UUs on CreateClimateJustice.Net: Create a free account on this UU climate justice community networking and resource hub.
- Join the Stop Line 3 – Solidarity & Action group on CCJnet. Check this group for updates and to coordinate UU solidarity.
- Faith Leaders: sign this petition from MNIPL telling President Biden to shut down Line 3!
- All people of faith: sign this petition
- Sign up for action alerts from MNIPL
- Sign onto 350.org’s petition asking President Biden to take action against Line 3
- Sign the Pledge of Resistance from MN350 – you’ll get email updates and invitations to events
- Sign onto the Build Back Fossil Free petition
- Learn more about the Sierra Club’s work on Line 3 and sign onto their petition, as well as Rainforest Action Network’s petition
- MUUSJA is hosting a series of five virtual tours of frontline camps, streamed from their Facebook page. Watch the first tour.
- Welcome Water Protectors – public information and welcome space about resisting the pipeline from Indigenous leaders in Palisade, MN
- Scout the ongoing construction with Watch the Line MN
- Join the Movement to Stop Line 3 for virtual orientation calls to join on the frontlines – information will be shared via Pledge of Resistance emails as well as on social media
- Join Virtual Direct Action Trainings, hosted by Northfield Against Line 3 (NAL3). These are hosted often and posted about on social media
- Join MNIPL’s Interfaith Response Team, Mondays at 4 PT / 7 ET – SIGN UP
- Join MN350 Virtual Calls to Action every other Thursday at 4:30pm PT / 7:30pm ET – find the next one here
Donate Money & Supplies
- MN350 Frontlines Support Drive
- Camp Migizi Amazon Wishlist
- The Movement to Stop Line 3 Linktree has several ongoing fundraisers listed
- Donate here to support the ongoing legal challenges to Line 3
- Are you an artist? Fill out this form to get involved
News & Updates
Join the Multifaith Delegation to the Treaty People Gathering!May 28th, 2021 Calling all Water Protectors and allies! Join the Multifaith Delegation to the Treaty People Gathering to Stop Line 3, June 5-8. If you are able, the time is now to come to the land. Water Protectors and allies are called to gather in Northern Minnesota to stop construction and tell the world that the days…
TAKE ACTION: Protect the Right to Resist Fossil Fuels in Minnesota!February 10th, 2021 Legislation introduced in the Minnesota State Legislature attacks First Amendment rights, including the right to protest fossil fuel infrastructure – can you take five minutes to urge Minnesota state officials to stop this bill? With water protectors on the ground right now fighting the Line 3 tar sands pipeline, protecting the right to resist is crucial…
TAKE ACTION: Solstice Solidarity to Stop Line 3December 19th, 2020 While the Winter Solstice traditionally marks a time of deep calm and settling down, the fossil fuel industry has continued unabated with its construction of the Line 3 tar sands pipeline in rural Minnesota. This year, UUs are called to witness and respond to this injustice, and rise alongside Indigenous water protectors and the broader faith…
Stop Line 3, Keystone XL and Arctic DrillingDecember 6th, 2020 This is a big week for fossil fuel resistance! The frontlines fighting Line 3 and Keystone XL pipelines and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge need your support. Read on about different ways to plug into solidarity work this week and beyond. Defend the Arctic: Actions December 7 - January 6 For thousands of…
Your Comment is Needed to Stop the Line 3 and Dakota Access PipelinesNovember 8th, 2020 This is a critical time to speak up against the Line 3 and Dakota Access pipelines, which both await key decisions from public officials in the near future. These projects – which have been fought by Indigenous and grassroots communities for years – violate Indigenous rights and put all of our futures at stake. Solutions…
Winona LaDuke Invites Water Protectors to Minnesota to Protect the Water against Line 3July 9th, 2018 In a powerful speech following the approval of a route for the Enbridge Line 3 pipeline by the Minnessota Public Utilities Commission, Winona LaDuke calls on Water Protectors to come to Minnesota to protect the water against Line 3, saying "What I will tell you is we are not backing down. We are here, we…