- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, diced
- 2 cups tender asparagus spears, thick ends trimmed off and spears chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 small Yukon gold potatoes, diced (or 4 small potatoes, if leaving out mascarpone cheese)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup culinary coconut milk
- In a medium saucepan over a medium flame, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot, fennel, salt and pepper and cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the diced potatoes, asparagus, remaining spices, and vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in coconut milk.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, or use a hand blender to puree it until smooth. Add more salt or pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, a drop or two of balsamic vinegar, and perhaps a sprinkle of chopped rosemary leaves.