While the Winter Solstice traditionally marks a time of deep calm and settling down, the fossil fuel industry has continued unabated with its construction of the Line 3 tar sands pipeline in rural Minnesota. This year, UUs are called to witness and respond to this injustice, and rise alongside Indigenous water protectors and the broader faith community in a Solstice day of action. Native leaders have invited the broader faith community – and those of no faith – to gather virtually in prayer, reflection and spiritual practice at sunset on Monday, December 21. Can you SIGN UP to offer a practice in solidarity on the Solstice?
Water and Stars: A Solstice Solidarity Action to Stop Line 3
This action of solidarity is a collaboration between Minnesota Interfaith Power & Light, Winona LaDuke, Honor the Earth, and Indigenous leaders on the ground resisting the Line 3 oil pipeline. MORE INFO.
- Participate at sunset, or whatever time works best.
- Find a quiet spot in your home, somewhere outdoors, or a space near a body of water.
- If you are outside and can remain masked and at a 6 foot distance, invite friends or members of your faith or spiritual community to join you.
- Offer a prayer, spiritual practice, reflection, ritual, or whatever feels meaningful from your faith/spiritual tradition or life.
- See the Water and Stars Action Guide (Google Doc or PDF) that provides a starting place for planning or engaging in this action. It was written for people from many different faiths, traditions, religions, and spiritual practices, and for those who do not identify in this way.
- To center your practice, you are invited to watch a video from the 12/17 protest rally held in Palisade at one of the pipeline construction sites. It is less than 3 minutes long.
- Send MNIPL photos or videos from your offering through our Facebook inbox or by emailing email@example.com.
- Post about your solstice water offering on social media. Tag MNIPL (Facebook or Twitter) and Honor the Earth (Facebook or Twitter) and use the hashtag #solsticewater
Watch the Interfaith Rally to Stop Line 3
Earlier this week, the interfaith community held a powerful rally of protest and song near Palisade, MN, along the Mississippi River where construction was active.
WATCH the recordings of the Livestream, from December 17, hosted on Minnesota Interfaith Power & Light’s Facebook Page. Please note the livestream paused at several points, so there are multiple parts.